Newsletter - 25 June 2021
From the President
I would like to thank Jim Collier, our wonderful traffic/parking ‘police’ for all his hard work directing parking, particularly on Friday when players are coming and going. Jim goes about this job very quietly, but with great efficiency. Thanks you very much for all your work.
I would also like to thank all the other volunteers who help around the club doing a variety of work. All offers of work are gratefully accepted.
At the last committee meeting, it was agreed that the AGM for this year would be held on Monday, 11 October 2021 at 5.30pm. All members are invited to attend.
Committee Minutes available for download
Committee meeting minutes for the 17 May 2021 and 3 June 2021 are now available for download on the Committee webpage.
Learn to Use Pianola - How to get the most out of Pianola 101
Dates & Times: Monday 28 June & Wednesday 30 June 9.15 - 9.45am
Would you like to learn more about how Pianola can best serve you?
Rick Nehmy will run a session on Monday 28 June and repeat it on Wednesday 30 June from 09:15am to 09:45am in the Olive Lott Room.
It will be a step-by-step run through of the basics and projected on the TV screen.
It is not essential, but if you have one, please bring your internet enabled device to the session that suits you. You can connect to the CBC Guest wifi for internet access.
Sick? Please stay home
As winter approaches so does the increase in the common cold and flu. If you are feeling at all unwell (with any potentially contagious illness!) please stay home and do not come to play Bridge. We will look forward to your return when you are well, and thank you for helping prevent others from sharing in your illness. This is even more important in light of COVID-19 and especially whilst there are some community cases in the Greater Sydney and Wollongong areas.
In-Club Session Times
Reminders for in-Club sessions:
- It is a condition of entry that you have read and agree to abide by our COVID-19 Safety Plan.
- One person ONLY in the kitchen at a time. You are welcome to gently remind others if you see they have forgotten.
- Government laws require every person to be registered through the Check-In CBR App when visiting our Club. The scan and number code for the App are on the sidetables, so you do not need to gather in the doorway or foyer to sign in.
- Monday morning 10:00am
- Monday evening 7:00pm (walk-in & supervised) & Monday evening 7:20pm (event)
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm
- Wednesday morning 10:00am
- Wednesday evening 7:15pm
- Thursday morning 10:00am (MP and Imps)
- Friday Supervised Lesson: 9:30am, then Play at 10am
- Friday (regular walk-in) 9:45am
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm
- Saturday afternoon 1:15pm
Clothes Swapping Function
A chance to get rid of your unwanted clothes and perhaps replace them, while having fun, will be held on Saturday 17 July 2021 in the upstairs room at CBC.
Format: People bring items of clothing or accessories and they can choose roughly the same number of items to take home. There will be a flat fee of $2 entrance fee at the door. All items not exchanged will need to be taken home by the owners, or if not required we will donate these to charity. Please note that the usual CBR signing in will be required and the kitchen is not to be used.
It would be helpful if people could bring clothing along a few days before the function so that we can set up the room. Note that items can be brought along on the day if people can’t bring them earlier. Non-bridge players are welcome to attend, so please tell your friends, and bring them along.
Require on loan: One long mirror and several free standing clothes racks upon which hangers can be hung to display the clothes.
Volunteers are needed to help with the set up and clean up. Please contact Nikki.
Cast off the woes of winter and frolic at the Bridge table and support CBC's charity Beyond Blue!
- Sunday 1 August - 12:30-5:00pm
- Gather 3 member players of a similar standard (limited to players who individually have fewer than 300 Masterpoints), come and have fun, get tips on play. The Club provides an experienced player as Captain to help and advise you.
- Scrumptious food, drinks, fun prizes.
- Cost: $20 via CBCPay
- Pre-Entry Essential via the online event entry form. Entries close 12:00 midday, Wednesday, 28 July.
The event is limited to 36 teams. This is a CBC Members Only event.
Everyone who signs up must turn up on the day to ensure its success.
Check our Congress & Bridge Holidays Board for upcoming events inside the Club
Located on the noticeboard in the upstairs foyer
Upcoming Education / Lessons
More Bridge Basics for Continuing Students (Competitive Bidding)
Barb Toohey will run two 4-week courses on Competitive Bidding and Defence. This is the next step after the beginners lessons, and suitable for Novice & Supervised Players.
Tuesdays 17th August - 7th Sept
10am - 12noon
$15 for an individual lesson or
$55 for all four (4) lessons
Members - Payment will be deducted from CBCPay Table Money.
Week 1: Doubles
Week 2: Overcalls
Week 3: Leads
Week 4: Signals
Master the Basics
Are you aware of our weekly "Master the Basics" lessons, taught by Barb Toohey? No pre-registration necessary, except if you plan to join via Zoom and need the link.
Master the Basics, at 9:00am on Thursday mornings before the duplicate sessions, for approximately half an hour.
The course caters for a range of abilities and each week covers a fundamental concept to an increased level of mastery. Students who have done a Beginners Course and/or some Supervised play and have limited experience are welcome to attend. With more experience you will still benefit from a deeper understanding of the concept being discussed.
No registration is needed. Just turn up for any or all of the lessons in the schedule below. There is no requirement to stay on for the duplicate session too. Cost is $6 for CBC Members (paid via CBCPay) and $8 for Non-Members.
The supervised lessons are on Mondays 7pm and Fridays 9:30am.
Advance notice: Next Beginner Lessons in August
Our next Beginners Lessons are schedule for August 16 (Monday Evenings, 7-9pm) and August 20 (Friday Mornings, 10am-12pm).
$69 for the 6 week course, including textbook and 3 free Supervised Play vouchers post-completion.
Pay before 9 August to get a $10 early-bird discount (pay only $59).
Individuals, couples and groups welcome to book!
We will print flyers for these lessons in the upcoming month, and you can direct anyone you know to view our website page "New to Bridge?" for full information and a contact form.
Play: Which Card to Play When? - by Joan Butts
- Making the correct play at trick one can often avoid problems later
- You are entitled to use some time to think, so don’t let the opponents hurry you!
- Consider where to win a trick, your hand or dummy, and whether to win it at all
- Most importantly, know why you’re taking the trick in one hand or the other
- That’s usually to do with entries to the suit you want to win tricks in
- Ask yourself in a suit contract, is it safe to draw trumps first?
- Do you need to first throw a loser on a winner in the other hand?
- If the opponents are entitled to a trump trick, and threaten to take their winner if they gain the lead, do not draw trumps until you’ve reduced your losers
- Your plan must vary with the new information you gain about the unseen hands, as you play to each trick
- Keeping one or other opponent off lead is the reason you tackle a suit in a particular way. You might even give up a trick to ensure the dangerous opponent doesn't gain the lead.