Newsletter - 5 June 2020
From the President:
It was wonderful that 16 members were able to attend the session on How to Use BBO on Monday; thanks to Jodi and Bill for providing that. Players new to BBO are coming on board all the time. Gentle courtesy will be greatly appreciated by everyone.
The ABF has 330 affiliated bridge clubs. Of these, 41 were playing online within the ABF structure at the end of May, and 25 others were playing online in other forums. How fortunate we are to have members with the expertise and enthusiasm to enable us to play online.
Online Bridge with CBC
For the week commencing Monday 8 June, we have a new Butler (imps) tournament starting on Thursday mornings at 10.10am and changes to the start time of our evening tournaments from 7:30 to 7:15pm.
|Monday morning 10:00am||Sally Barber and Barb Toohey|
|Tuesday evening 7:15pm (imps)||Stephen Fisher **New time**|
|Wednesday morning 10:00am||Ian Robinson|
|Wednesday morning 10:15am||Barb Toohey|
|Wednesday evening 7:15pm||Christy Geromboux **New time**|
|Thursday morning 10:00am||Jodi Tutty|
|Thursday morning 10:10am (imps)||Jodi Tutty **NEW SESSION**|
- The 10.15 Wednesday Tourney is a relaxed 20 board session for our newer members and those enjoying BBO for the first time. Please make sure you enter the correct tournament (and only one tournament) on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- We now have 225 of our CBC members registered on out BBO include list. You can be next by clicking on the ‘CBC sessions on BBO’ information page below to learn how to register and join us.
- If you and your partner are having trouble registering for a tournament (for example blocked by BBO), you can ring the tourney director (shown above) on their private number listed in the CBC 2020 Calendar. Please do so the second the problem occurs.
- Consider the purchase of a wireless mouse for your device. They are not expensive and greatly speed up your response time, both in the bidding and playing each individual card.
- A reminder that the individual who makes the bid is responsible for alerting the bid. Type the explanation BEFORE making the bid. All 2 level openings are alertable.
- At the end of each round and before the commencement of the next round, BBO allows you to chat privately with your partner. Just click on their BBO name and the chat line appears. Please make sure, however, that you thank your oppos for the game first.
More information is available on our BBO pages:
ABF Tournaments on BBO
The ABF will run its second online tournament (one session of pairs) on BBO on Sunday 7 June at 2.30pm AEST.
If you are fully registered to play within the CBC club on BBO, you are set to go. You can register on BBO from two hours prior.
BBO --> Login --> Virtual Clubs --> ABF
June ABF Newsletter
The June edition of the ABF Newsletter is now available to view on the ABF website.
South is in 6C, on the lead of JH.
Trumps are drawn in two rounds. What now?
A double finesse in S looks hopeful (playing to the 10 the first time) but are there better chances?
Play your top Ds, pitching 4S, and ruff the last D, ruff the small H in dummy and now play a S to the 10.
The ending is:
Because you have eliminated the red suits, West does not have a safe exit.
West can return a S into your AQ, or give you a ruff and discard, enabling you to pitch QS as you ruff the H in dummy.
The San Francisco cable cars are the only mobile national monuments.
- While I was in the queue at the Post Office this morning three people came in wearing masks- PANIC!
Then they said ‘This is a robbery’ and we all calmed down.
- This morning I saw a neighbour talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house and told my dog -- we laughed a lot.