Newsletter - 15 May 2020
From the President:
Melis and Melis Constructions have almost finished their work on our bathrooms. We have very much appreciated their courtesy, flexibility and excellent workmanship in carrying out this work.
Some members have contributed to this project in choosing tiles, benches and paint. I thank West Savery for working as CBC’s liaison person with the Melis family and for keeping the committee fully informed throughout.
Online Bridge with CBC
All CBC members are invited to register with the club's BBO platform.
Read our Playing in a CBC Session Online page to learn how to register and join us.
The 10:15 Wednesday tournament is a relaxed 20 board session for our newer members. Please make sure you enter the correct tournament (and only one tournament) on Wednesdays
- The results for each tournament are now posted on the CBC website and are also available through Pianola, with a results email being sent to all registered pianola members. These results have BBO names converted to member’s names. It can take up to 12 hours for the results to be posted.
- You can also get results from BBO by searching in your recent history. Only BBO has a record of each hand you played with a card by card replay.
- When registering to play in a specific CBC tournament and after clicking ‘Competitive’ and ‘All tournaments’, one way to find the upcoming CBC tournament is to scroll down the list, mindful of the number of minutes until the tournament commences. An easier way is to simply type CBC in the search line located at the top right of the screen.
- There is a BBO app that can be downloaded to your mobile phone for those members who wish to multitask and play while doing the shopping.
More information is available on our BBO pages:
The major work in the bathrooms has been completed.
We expect the painting to be carried out by Frank Maricic of Colourfulworld, one of the club’s sponsors, in the next two weeks
Photos of progress have been added to the Bathroom Renovations website gallery.
Bitumen will be poured on one section of the carpark that needs repair in the next few weeks.
If you are looking out the club’s front door towards the soccer club, the area is to your left up towards the public carpark.
Our gate will be locked for a few days while the bitumen settles.
Short of Entries
Contract 3NT by South, 9H led
You can count 8 Tricks
If you cash KD and QD, cross to dummy with AS and D break 3-3 you can make two more tricks in D. However, if Diamonds are not 3-3 you cannot get back to dummy to play the 13th D.
Instead play KD, overtake QD with AD and 10D will force out the JD while you still have AS as an entry to get back.
Sometimes this squanders overtricks, but more often it guarantees the contract.
Cryptic Crossword - Bridge Themed!
Have a crack at another Bridge-themed cryptic crossword from Richard Brightling (used with permission)!
The bricks and mortar club in Deakin will be closed until the end of June. This temporary closure is in compliance with ACT law on non-essential gatherings and social distancing designed to minimise the spread of the COVID-19 virus. The temporary closure also reflects the Canberra Bridge Club’s concern for the health of our members and the wider community.
The committee will keep members informed about ongoing plans.
Please don’t forget CBC online bridge!
Fencing: the perfect Covid 19 sport
- If anybody gets closer than 6 feet to you, you stab them.
The energiser bunny was arrested on a charge of battery.