Newsletter - 13 March 2020
From the President:
Thank you to those augmenting our toilet paper supplies – what a strange world we live in – but it is necessary in the club. We are a members’ club and need to help each other, whether by wiping up the occasional spill in the club or providing scarce resources or keeping well to protect others as well as ourselves.
Coronavirus/COVID-19 & winter flu season
All members, staff and visitors to the Club are urged to:
- wash their hands thoroughly and regularly,
- follow the hand washing guidance on the many posters on display and use the hand sanitisers at other times,
- avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes, especially if you haven't washed your hands for a while,
- as always, if you have respiratory symptoms, please stay at home and return to bridge when you are feeling better,
- if you have been travelling, please observe the recommended isolation periods.
Let’s all stay well.
For those interested in more ways to prevent the spread of cold and flu viruses, please see our new staying healthy webpage.
Interested to make your own hand sanitiser?
A member has suggested this How-To guide to make your own hand sanitiser.
A Working Bee will be held at the club on Saturday 28 March from 9.30am.
There is a myriad of jobs to be done, inside and outside. It would be wonderful to have your help.
The Grange Health & Wellbeing Open Day
Unfortunately this event has been deferred by The Grange to a date to be advised.
Will be presented by Travel Associates
- At: Canberra Bridge Club
- On: Thursday 26 March, 1:30-3:30pm
Travel Associates will be joined by Adventure World Travel and Lindblad Expeditions.
Enjoy refreshments and travel-inspired conversation.
A lucky door prize to be won.
Please visit the event page for more details or to register. You may also register with one of the managers.
- Monday 10am, 16th & 23rd March
- Walk-in event; no pre-registration.
- There will be a brief break for morning tea on 23rd March
Donations of food will be gratefully accepted – please tell Pam.
- Weekend of Friday 20th – 22nd March
- Friday 20th may not be required, depending on entrant numbers.
- Register online
- Sunday 22nd March, 1pm for a 1:15pm start
- Followed by drinks & awards presentation
- Fewer than 100 MasterPoints per player (as at 31st Dec, 2019) / Grand Slam <54.
- Sign up online or on the BT Noticeboard
- RED Masterpoints
- Feature prize: Movie tickets to “Never too late” (session of your choosing!)
It has been a long time since Caine, Bronson, Angus and Wendell, AKA, ‘The Chain Breakers’, escaped the torturous Vietnamese POW camp. They now find themselves sharing a new prison, The Hogan Hills Retirement Home for Returned Veterans.
Each of the boys has an unrealised dream they want to achieve before it’s too late. So, once again they band together to devise a plan to escape this new hell. But the rules of engagement have changed, in fact, they can’t even remember what they were and that’s half the problem.
Never Too Late is a cross between Grumpy Old Men and The Great Escape, about four mates reconciling after years apart to teach each other that it’s never too late, no matter how old you are, to chase your dreams.
What did the exclamation mark say to the question mark?
I’ll never date another apostrophe – the last one was too possessive.
Swiss Teams: 1st John & Val Brockwell, Richard Douglas & Helena Dawson
Swiss Teams: 1st Niek Van Vucht, Vicky Lisle, Richard Hills, Chris Stead
Lessons & Seminars
Master the Basics
- Wednesday 18th March @ 9:15am
- Topic: “Forcing or not".
Thursday "Covering the Basics"
- Thursday 19th March @ 9:15am
- Topic: “Bidding - Stayman”
Supervised Play & Lessons
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 16th & 20th March – Weak 2D/2H/2S opening
- 23rd & 27th March – Strong 2c opening
- 30th March & 3rd April – Slam Bidding - Blackwood
- 6th & 10th April - More Slams
More Bridge Basics for Continuing Students
Barb Toohey will run a 4-week course on Competitive Bidding and Defence.
- 11th March to 1st April, on Wednesdays at 2pm
- $15 per lesson
- Week 2: Overcalls
- Week 3: Leads
- Week 4: Signals