Newsletter - 27 September 2019
From the President:
Please see below for the members of CBC’s committee 2019-2020. Wish them well, help them out and chat to them about positive ways of improving the club.
CBC Committee 2019-2020
President: Pam Crichton
Vice-president: Ian Robinson
Treasurer: Lyn Turner
Secretary: Deb Milner
Tournament Secretary: John Brockwell
Committee: Michele Grant
Liz Van Der Hor
Metal Name Badges
The next session of bridge for Kids will be held on Tuesday 8 October from 10am until 12pm midday. Card games such as mini bridge and hearts will be played, along with other card games the kids may wish to play.
Interested members should register their children’s names, ages and any special dietary requirements on the registration sheets at the club, as well as the carer’s name. A grandparent or carer should accompany the children to this event, and may also be needed to assist with the games.
The cost will be $5 per child and fruit, pizza and ice cream will be provided at the end of play.
- Tuesday & Thursday nights, for 2 weeks: 15, 17, 22, & 24th October at 7:30pm
- Gateway Event: Designed for those who do not normally play evening competitions
- Special consideration for players with less than 300MP
- Green Masterpoints
- Pair with best 3 of 4 scores is the winner. One substitute allowed.
- Pre-entry is desirable, on the Sign Up sheet or enter online.
“Bridge Basics for Continuing Students” with Barb Toohey
- Tuesday October 1
- 10.00am – 12.00pm.
- $15.00 per lesson
Sign-up sheet is up in the Barry Turner Room.
Our next Wednesday Night Pizza night and talk will this week 3 October. Richard Hills will give a talk on
“Taking advantage of your opponents’ infractions”.
- Eastlake Football Club, Gungahlin
- October 4th - 7th
- Events for players of all standards
Helpers for setup are required on Thursday 3rd October 4:30pm, and helpers for packing up/take-down are needed for Monday 7th October 4:30pm.
As always, many hands make light work!
Bridge Federation of the ACT (BFACT) - AGM
The Bridge Federation of the ACT is our ‘state’ body, to which we (Canberra BC), Capital BC, South Canberra BC, Cootamundra BC and Monaro (Cooma) BC are affiliated.
Members of the Canberra Bridge Club are members of BFACT by virtue of their CBC membership.
BFACT’s AGM will be held at CBC on Sunday 29 September at about 5pm, at the conclusion of play in the Gala Pairs.
The man who invented the zip has been honoured with a lifetime peerage. He will now be known as Lord of the Flies.
- Ronnie Barker
Swiss Pairs: 2nd Richard Hills & Chris Stead
3rd Karen Creet & Richard Brightling
Swiss Teams: 1st John Brockwell, Kevin Tant, Richard Hills & Chris Stead
2nd Stephen Mendick, Andrew Creet, Karen Creet, Richard Brightling
3rd Leone Moffat, Elainne Haley, Sue Neill, Robert Van Der Hoek
Lessons & Seminars
See “Upcoming Events” section for the Tuesday Intermediate Lessons “Bridge Basics for Continuing Beginners”
The next lesson will be on October 2, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Competitive Bidding – 1NT doubled – what now?”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
3rd October - Planning, play points
10th October - Take out double
17th October - Advancing Take out doubles
24th October - Neg & other doubles
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 30th September - 2nd October - Strong 2C opening
- 7th – 11th October – Slam bidding, Blackwood
- 14th - 18th October - System Card
- 21st - 25th October - Introduction, Etiquette, Key Points