Newsletter - 16 August 2019
From the President:
Good luck to Andrew Spooner on his next international foray – the World Youth Open Bridge Championships to be held in Croatia 20-29 August.
Coughs & Colds
With the cold weather still with us the need for proper Hygiene Protocols in relation to coughs, colds and flu like conditions is essential. Although the club would miss you, it is better to miss a session of bridge than share the condition with others and increase the risk of lots of us missing a bridge session. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated by all. Please be mindful of touching your face with cards, use the sanitiser frequently and discard tissues in the waste bins.
The club has placed a container of hand sanitiser on the bench top under the big screen to aid in the containment of infection.
The next course of beginners lessons start on Monday 9th (7-9pm) & Friday 13th September (10am-12pm).
$75 for the 6 lessons, including the textbook and all notes.
Please encourage your friends to learn.
- 25th August 12.30pm
- Sign up online or on the noticeboard in the club.
Enter as a team of 3 with your friends, and you will be provided with an experienced captain to help and advise you.
Each player must have fewer than 300 masterpoints. You will be allocated to an appropriate section according to your experience.
Scrumptious eats and drinks afterwards.
Upcoming GNOT Qualifying events – Gold MP
- Monday 26th Aug & 2nd Sept, 10am – Matchpoint Pairs (ACT Provincial)
- Thursday 29thAug & 5th Sept, 20am – Pairs Butler (Canberra) & Matchpoint (ACT Provincial)
State Open Pairs Championship (Butler)
- Tuesdays August 20th, 27th, 7.00pm (winter times)
- Tuesdays September 3rd, 10th, 7.30pm (summer times)
- The winning pair will be the ACT Open Pairs Champions.
- Pre-entry closes 10.00am, 19th August.
State Masters Pairs (Matchpoint)
- Thursday August 22nd & 29th, 7.00pm
- Honour Board Event
- Saturday 31st August: All levels welcome
- 10am – 4pm
- How to run a session; Movements; Scoring Programmes; & Basic Laws
- Sunday 1st September: for those with some experience directing.
- 10am – 4pm
- Table simulations; Discussions on more interesting laws & situations; Q&A session
Venue: Canberra Bridge Club
Cost: $20 for one day, or $30 for both days. Includes a light lunch.
Love is staying up all night with a sick child - or a healthy adult.
- David Frost
Wagga Wagga Bridge Congress
Pairs: 1st Richard Hills & Chris Stead
Teams: 3rd Jenny & Stephen Mendick, Karen & Andy Creet
Coffs Harbour Congress Pairs
3rd Jodi Tutty & David Beauchamp
CBC Winter Danish Pairs
1st George Kozakos & Ian Robinson
2nd Julia Hoffman & Christopher Quail
GNOT Pairs Butler
1st Tony Marinos & Peter Grant
2nd Stephen Mendick & Elizabeth Havas
Did you know...?
A "Goulash" game is where any hand which is passed out or ends on a one level contract is redealt in any 5-3-5 combination. This results in very distributional hands.
In the Spectator Magazine of 3 August, Janet de Botton described a game in London where as dealer she picked up twelve spades (missing only the 6) plus the Ace of Diamonds. She bid and made 7 spades.
Lessons & Seminars
The next lesson will be on August 21, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Competitive Bidding – Advancing a Takeout Double”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
22nd August – Major suit transfers
29th August – 1NTx – now what?
5th September – Rule of 11
12th September – Second hand play
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 19th – 23rd August - Better Minor – rebids
- 26th – 30th August - Responses to NT & Stayman
- 2nd – 6th September - Doubles & Overcalls
- 9th - 13th September - Rule of 20 & Rule of 15
Wanted: Winter produce
Thank you to all those who have brought in produce for sale at the Club!
Yes, we always want more! If you have an abundance of produce, please consider donating some to raise funds for the Club. We are grateful for every donation.
Thank you to our members & visitors for their honesty in paying for the produce on the foyer table.