Newsletter - 12 July 2019
From the President:
Good luck to our members playing in ACT teams at the Australian National Championships in Melbourne next week.
For those staying in Canberra – don’t forget the Interclub Teams on 21 July – enter now!
The minutes from the March, April & May committee meeting are now available on the committee webpage.
Many married couples play together. Sometimes parents play with children and sometimes grandparents with grandchildren. In recent weeks on Monday we have had 2 sets of brothers and 1 set of sisters playing together in one movement. The family that plays together stays together?
Bridge for Kids – This week
The next session of bridge for Kids will be held on Tuesday 16 July from 10am until 12pm midday. Card games such as mini bridge and hearts will be played, along with other card games the kids may wish to play.
Interested members should register their children’s names, ages and any special dietary requirements on the registration sheets at the club, as well as the carer’s name. A grandparent or carer should accompany the children to this event, and may also be needed to assist with the games.
The cost will be $5 per child and fruit, pizza and ice cream will be provided at the end of play.
State Singles Championship – This week
- Incorporating the Griffin Trophy – Honour Board event.
- Gateway event, suitable for beginners, novice, & intermediate
- Tuesdays and Thursdays - 7pm - 16th July – 25th July
- Walk-in. No pre-entry required.
- Matchpoint scoring, the player with the three best scores with three different partners will be the winner.
- Sunday 21 July – 2 sessions
- Convenor: John Donovan (BFACT)
- 4 categories: Novice; Restricted; Intermediate; & Seniors
- Developing players would enjoy trying the Novice category.
Keep warm in the depths of winter while enjoying a game of bridge.
The Romans didn't find maths very challenging, because X was always 10.
ACT Teams for the ANC
- Richard Hills & Chris Stead
- Stephen Fischer & Sebastian Yuen
- David Appleton & Peter Reynolds
- Peter Grant npc
- Margaret Bourke & Elizabeth Havas
- Pam Crichton & Julia Hoffman
- Adrienne Stephens & Erin Tewes
- Jodi Tutty npc
- Richard Brightling & David Hoffman
- Stephen Mendick and Bernie Waters
- Sean Mullamphy & Ian Thomson
- Niek Van Vucht npc
- Andrew Spooner & Josh Tomlin
- Diya Shah & Dev Shah
- Thomas De Poorter & Jade Wilkinson
- John Yoon npc
GNOT Butler Qualifying
- Elizabeth Havas & Margaret Bourke (Sub: Jodi Tutty)
- Christy Geromboux & Sebastian Yuen
- Stephen Carter & Anne Powell
- Chris Stead & Richard Hills
- Peter Grant & Tony Marinos
Lessons & Seminars
The next lesson will be on July 17, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Bidding - Obstructive Openings – Pre-empts, Weak 2’s”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
18th July - Michaels Cue Bids
25th July - Unusual 2NT overcall
1st Aug - What shape am I?
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 15th – 19th July - Opening Leads Signals (simplified)
- 22nd – 26th July - Doubles & Overcalls
- 2th July – 2nd Aug - No Trump Play #1