Newsletter - 10 May 2019
From the President:
I look forward to seeing some of at the Quiz Night tomorrow, Saturday 11 May.
The Southern Tablelands Teams is only a week away – on Sunday 19 May. Please enter quickly to help the organisers. Novice, Restricted and Open Teams are all very welcome. See below for more details. If you can bring something for morning tea please tell Mary Tough or myself.
Call for views on Melbourne Cup format
The Committee is re-evaluating the future of the Melbourne Cup Social Event, which we feel adds value to the membership by building a sense of “community” etc within the Club. So, to do this we are looking at ways to make this Event more appealing to the membership.
The primary consideration is, do the members want the Club to continue organising a social event on MC Day? If yes, are there any suggestions other than those already listed below on how we can improve the event?
Options being considered are:
- Start the day at 11:30am with bridge, then nibbles/drinks/and watch the running of the Cup (with or without sweeps?).
- Start the day at 11:00am with bridge, then a “High Tea” function while watching the running of the Cup (with or without sweeps?).
- Keep the day as it is starting at 10:00am with bridge, then a full lunch/dress parade/and watch the running of the Cup (with sweeps).
- Sunday 19th May, 10am (2 sessions)
- $37 per player – includes lunch, and drinks after play. (Half price for Youth)
- Prizes for all categories
- Novice Swiss Teams (<400MP per team)
- Restricted Swiss Teams (<1200MP per team)
- Open Swiss Teams
- Red Masterpoints
- Details on STT event page for Grand Slam player conversions
- Pre-entry is essential. Entry closes Wed 15th May. Sign-up sheet on noticeboard or enter online.
Beginners Bridge Lessons
The next 6 week course commences Monday 27th May (7:00pm) / Friday 31st May (10am).
For enrolment or enquiries, contact the office on 6282 2382. Flyers available outside the office.
2019 Barrier Reef Congress
Walk in pairs: 1st John Brockwell & Michael Cullen
Open Teams: 2nd Chris Stead, John Brockwell, Richard Hills & Michael Cullen
2019 Autumn Nationals – Adelaide
Open Swiss Pairs: 3rd Brad Coles & George Kozakos
Nationals: 3rd Ian Thomson teamed with Ron Klinger, Philip Markey & Justin Williams
Under Life Master Pairs: 4th Jenny Mendick, with Brian Craig
Barry Turner Teams – Finals
- Christy Geromboux, Sebastian Yuen, John Yoon & Andrew Spooner
- Pam Crichton, Ross Crichton, Julia Hoffman & Christopher Quail
Lessons & Seminars
Master Basics will resume on May 15, 2019 at 9:15am.
“Bidding - Extended Stayman".
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
Monday / Friday
|13th - 17th May||Opening leads & signals (simplified)||Competing after an overcall|
|20th - 26th May||Responses to NT & stayman||They've stolen my bid|
|27th - 31st May||Rule of 20 & rule of 15||1NT & responses|
|3rd - 7th June||High opening bids: pre-empts||Stayman|
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.
- Oscar Wilde