Newsletter - 19 April 2019
From the President:
The club was buzzing last Sunday with the Kantar lesson in the morning and the Restricted Pairs Championship in the afternoon, followed by drinks. Thanks go to Ian Robinson who conducted the lesson, helped by Jodi Tutty and Perelle Scales. Bruce Crossman, as director, was helpful as always in coping with fluctuating numbers.
Another successful Bridge4Kids session was held on Tuesday morning: thanks to Patricia McDonald, Margaret Kyburz, Erin Tewes, Nikki Riszko, Andrew Struik, Susie Ryrie and Ross Crichton for their work on the event.
Now I am appealing to every member for ongoing help. This club is well served by all our directors. There is a simple equation: no director, no duplicate bridge. Each of us can help at every session in which we play by arriving in good time, being cooperative about seating and any director’s rulings, and helping afterwards. Please place boards in order and clean up your table – mugs, stray paper and so on. Let’s show that we value our directors.
Monday and Wednesday evenings
If you have not previously played in the walk-in duplicate sessions on Monday or Wednesday evenings, please try these sessions out at half price for your first two weeks.
The world is a stage – and the play is badly cast.
- Oscar Wilde
- Thursdays 7pm (Winter Time commences), starting 2nd May for 3 weeks
- Sunday 19th May, 10am (2 sessions)
- $37 per player – includes lunch, and drinks after play. (Half price for Youth)
- Prizes for all categories
- Novice Swiss Teams (<400MP per team)
- Restricted Swiss Teams (<1200MP per team)
- Open Swiss Teams
- Red Masterpoints
- Details on STT event page for Grand Slam player conversions
- Pre-entry is essential. Entry closes Wed 15th May. Sign-up sheet on noticeboard or enter online.
This lesson is suitable for quite experienced players, as well as newer players. Those attending will be grouped with other players of a similar standard to enable Jodi to teach to the level of those at the table.
Sunday, 28th April, 10am
- $20 per lesson for Members.
- Topic: Even More Tricks as Declarer, counting the hand.
Sign-up sheet is on the BT Room wall.
May is Mentoring Month
Do you want to improve your bridge game?
If you are a beginner who would like some help to improve your game, or a mid-level or slightly better player who wants help to move to the next level in bridge, the club invites you to apply for a mentor during May.
Each mentee will be provided with a suitable mentor as partner for 2 sessions of bridge. The mentor will generally play the mentee’s system. The mentee pays the table money.
Mentors are needed. If you are a friendly person who is available to play 2 sessions during the month to assist a club member please complete an application to be a mentor.
- Saturday 11th May, 7:00pm (for 7:30pm start)
- $15 per person. Why not make up a team? Funds raised to help Barnardos Australia
- Total of 53 questions, in 5 categories, hosted by our one-and-only Richard Hills.
- BYO nibbles and drinks. (Tea/coffee provided)
- Sign up on the noticeboard
2019 ACT Open Team Selection Final
- Richard Hills & Chris Stead
- Stephen Fischer & Sebastian Yuen
- Elizabeth Havas & Michael Smart
ANC Senior’s Qualifying
- David Hoffman & Richard Brightling
- Tony Marinos & Peter Grant
- Stephen Mendick & Bernard Waters
Restricted Pairs Championship
- Deborah Milner & Andrew Kettle
- Mirza Datoo & Rajiv Shah
- Kerry Holmes & Martin Holmes
Australian Youth Team
The Australian Youth team finished 5th in the APBF tournament in Thailand.
CBC’s Andrew Spooner and his partner Tomer Libman played well throughout the event.
A special poem for older folk
A row of bottles on my shelf
Caused me to analyze myself.
One yellow pill I have to pop
Goes to my heart so it won't stop.
A little white one that I take
Goes to my hands so they won't shake.
The blue ones that I use a lot
Tell me I'm happy when I'm not.
The purple pill goes to my brain
And tells me that I have no pain.
The capsules tell me not to wheeze
Or cough or choke or even sneeze.
The red ones, smallest of them all
Go to my blood so I won't fall.
The orange ones, very big and bright
Prevent my leg cramps in the night.
Such an array of brilliant pills
Helping to cure all kinds of ills.
But what I'd really like to know...
Is what tells each one where to go!
Lessons & Seminars
Master Basics will resume on April 24, 2019 at 9:15am.
“Defence - Singles again”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
Monday / Friday
|22nd - 26th April||Easter Monday - No Lesson
26th April - Trump Play #1
|Anzac Day - No Lesson|
|29th April - 3rd May||Card Play #2 Finesse||Planning - Play Points|
|6th - 10th May||Better minor, responses & rebids||Overcalls|
|13th - 17th May||Opening leads & signals (simplified)||Competing after an overcall|
|20th - 26th May||Responses to NT & stayman||They've stolen my bid|