Newsletter - 14 June 2018
From the President:
Please consider attending the LendLease presentation this coming Saturday at East Hotel at 10.30am. In your RSVP please mention the Canberra Bridge Club as there is a financial benefit to the club. Please see details further down in the newsletter.
Many of us enjoy the items on the produce table in the foyer, which are sold to benefit our club. It is another example of the generous spirit of members of this club. I hesitate to mention names as there are many I don’t know about, but I will live dangerously by thanking Perelle Scales, Meurine Thomas and Dianne Manning-Heath. I will be delighted to be told of those I have omitted.
Nation-Wide Pairs – Friday 15 June, 1:15pm
Teams of Three – Sunday 1st July 12:30pm
- Gather 3 players and the club will provide you with an experienced player as captain.
- Scrumptious food, good chats, fun prizes for nicest captain, happiest team and best team(s)
- $15 Members (including Intermediate Players), $18 Non-member
- Pre-entry essential, closes Friday 29th June 1pm
- Two (2) Sections:
- Intermediate - each player to have fewer than 15 masterpoints
- Restricted - each player to have fewer than 150 masterpoints
CBC President’s Butler Pairs – Thursday 21st June, 28th June, 5th July
State Open Pairs – Tuesday 3, 10, 17 & 24 July
We are sad to announce the deaths of Kathleen McIntosh and Ronnie Carlson (who has been living in Brisbane recently) and express our condolences to their family and friends.
Lendlease Retirement Living - Saturday 16th June 2018
- Date: Saturday, 16th June
- Time: 10:30am – 11:30am
- Location: East Hotel, 69 Canberra Avenue
Lendlease Retirement Living has exciting plans to deliver a luxury over 55’s village to the community of Narrabundah. We invite you to join us for an informative morning tea where we will share our vision for the village, give you a sneak peak of the home designs, resort facilities, building timelines and give you the opportunity to register for VIP updates on how to buy.
Free parking will be provided at The East Hotel. Enter the carpark underneath the hotel from Oxley Street. Please report to hotel reception when you are leaving and you will receive your free ticket to exit the carpark.
Not only will you learn something about future accommodation options in the inner south, but the attendance of each individual CBC member will be financially beneficial to CBC.
When you RSVP please identify yourself as a CBC member.
After 10 years, the wife starts to think their kid looks kind of strange so she decides to do a DNA test.
She finds out that the kid is actually from completely different parents.
Wife: Honey, I have something very serious to tell you.
Husband: What’s up?.
Wife: According to DNA test results, this is not our kid.
Husband: You don’t remember, do you?? When we were leaving the hospital, we noticed that our baby had pooped. Then you said: Please go change the baby; I’ll wait for you here. So I went inside, got a clean one and left the dirty one there.
Bridge For Kids - Tuesday 10 & 17 July
- Tuesday 10 July 2018 and Tuesday 17 July at CBC
- 10am finishing at 12 noon with ice cream and pizza.
- Cost $2.
- Come to one or both as suits.
It is expected that a parent, grandparent or guardian will accompany each minor and assist if needed.
The target age is ten to twelve but eight to eighteen would be acceptable.
Card games include any trick taking game such as Old Maid, Hearts and mini bridge for older children.
Sign up sheets will be on the noticeboard at CBC, or you can email the Manager. Please include names and ages of the children you are registering and the name of the guardian(s) who will attend with them.
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson will be on Wednesday June 20, with Barb Toohey.
“Declarer Play – Planning, Play points”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised session topics
(starting at 7.00pm)
Thursdays & Fridays
(starting at 9.30am)
Strong 2C opening
14th June (Thursday)
15th June (Friday)
Slam bidding, Blackwood
28th June (Thursday)
29th June (Friday)
- Barb, Ann and Jeanette
2018 Victor Champion Cup Festival of Bridge
- Winners of the McCance Senior’s Swiss Pairs were George Kozakos & Arjuna De Livera
- Winners of the Sara Tishler Women’s Swiss Pairs were Elizabeth Havas & Di Smart
Asia Cup Championships in Goa, India
Our members have excelled in the Asia Cup, held last week in India.
- Karen Creet and Sheila Bird played in the Australian Women’s Team, which made the semi-finals.
- Jodi Tutty, with David Beauchamp, Matthew Thompson and Cathryn Herden, formed the Australian Mixed Team, which won the event. Congratulations!