Newsletter - 24th May 2018
From the President:
Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to the success of the Southern Tablelands teams last Sunday. In addition to hard-working committee regulars, thanks go to the director, Sebastian Yuen, to the floor manager John Hempenstall and to the catering team of Trish Arnold and Sue Pillans, who were ably assisted by many slice makers. We were delighted to welcome some out-of-towners: as well as the Bungendore regulars, there were players from Goulburn, Young and Adelaide.
We appreciated the sponsorship of the Australian Bridge Magazine for this event. Give yourself a treat and subscribe to the magazine version for a broad audience, or the online version for Novice players.
Drinks to celebrate Peter Andersson’s 90th – Saturday 26 May, 4pm
Friends of Peter Andersson are invited to come to the Club on Saturday 26 May 2018 from 4.00 pm to celebrate his 90th Birthday. It is a BYO affair, including a plate to share. If you think that Peter would love to see you at the Club, then please come. Enter the date in your diary NOW.
Should members need further information please contact Juliana Maher (ph: 6281 0031 or email email@example.com)
- Best two out of three scores with the SAME partner determines the winner
- Entries close Wednesday 30 May at 1pm.
- Pre-entry required, closes Monday 4th June 1pm.
- Gather 3 players and the club will provide you with an experienced player as captain.
- Scrumptious food, good chats, fun prizes for nicest captain, happiest team and best team(s)
- $15 Members (including Intermediate Players), $18 Non-member
- Pre-entry essential, closes Friday 29th June 1pm
- Two (2) Sections:
- Intermediate - each player to have fewer than 15 masterpoints
- Restricted - each player to have fewer than 150 masterpoints
The Australian Bridge Magazine Southern Tablelands Teams
- Ian Rodgers, Malcolm Wood, Mirza Datoo, Sherryn Datoo
- Susan Hegarty, Doina Uzubalis, Stephen Henningham, Catherine Cregan
- Hilary Merritt, Joy Bryant, George Zuber, John Kelly
- Andrew Kettle, Deborah Milner, Terri Henderson, Atul Hajela
- Margaret Bourke, Stephen Fischer, Richard Brightling, David Hoffman
- Ian Thomson, Arjuna De Livera, Ian Robinson, George Kozakos
- Saturday 26 May 2018 9.30am
- Sign up list in foyer
Please come and help on the day if you can, inside or outside; something for everyone!
If you notice bidding boxes that need some tidying up, please place them on the bench at the front of the Barry Turner room during the week.
Wednesday Night Bridge
Our next pizza night will be Wednesday 6th June with Richard Hills giving another insightful talk.
The title for the June talk is: The road to Hell is paved by good conventions.
We will also be running the session on this night as a Butler pairs competition. This is where you play as a pair but the score is as if you are playing as part of a team.
Hence you play team tactics rather than matchpoint.
Pizzas from 6.15 pm. Bridge from 7.15 pm.
Come and join us.
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson will be on Wednesday May 30th, with Barb Toohey.
“Defence – To Cover or not to Cover”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised session topics
(starting at 7.00pm)
Thursdays & Fridays
(starting at 9.30am)
Leads & Signals
25th May (Friday)
High opening bids:Pre -empts
31 May (Thursday)
1st June (Friday)
Weak 2D/2H/2S openings
7th June (Thursday)
8th June ( Friday)
Strong 2C opening
14th June (Thursday)
15th June (Friday)
Barb, Ann and Jeanette