Newsletter - 26 April 2018
From the President:
Please don’t forget our Trash and Treasure Stall at the markets this coming Saturday.
Please take some slices or cakes for sale if you can.
Or come to the club for the lessons being held by Laura Ginnan and Pete Hollands; please see below.
Tuesday and Thursday night players - Next week
Please note that from next week 1 May to 31 August those sessions will commence at 7.00pm.
- Australian Bridge Magazine Southern Tablelands Teams – Sunday 20th May
Session commences at 10:00am, 2 Sessions
- Red Masterpoints
- Swiss Teams Congress Event
- Open and Restricted/Novice sections
- Lunch and After play nibbles
- Pre-Entry Required - Entries close 1pm 17th May
- $35 per player members & out of town visitors
- $38 per player for ACT non-members
- Half price for Youth Players
- CBC Mixed Teams Championship – Next Thursday evening
- Thursday 3 May, 7pm
- Pre-Entry Required
For all above events, entry lists are on the BT Noticeboard in the Club and on the Club Website.
Wednesday Night Bridge
Next Wednesday 3 May is our Pizza/Talk night.
Richard Hills will be giving a talk on what can you do over interference of your partner's opening 1NT.
Bridge commences 7.15 pm.
Mentoring in May - closes tomorrow
Mentor & mentee sign-up sheets are now available. Please find them located under the TV in the BT Room, and completed sheets should be placed in the labelled box there.
Applications close tomorrow - Friday 27th April.
Quiz Night – 12th May
- $15 per person + optional donations & ‘joker’
- 7:00pm for quiz to commence at 7.30pm
- 5 categories, with 53 questions in total
- Fundraiser for MS Society
- Full details available on the website
- Sign up for the Quiz Night on the sheet on the wall in the BT Room, enter online, or by contacting the office.
The Committee has decided to make professional name tags available to interested Club members. The badges are magnetic (no pins), silver with the Club logo & Club name and your name. A must for those attending congresses and tournaments. Cost is $15 per badge.
Skills Development Workshops – This weekend 28th & 29th April
Leading Melbourne teachers Pete Hollands & Laura Ginnan
- Cost: $35
- Two (2) Workshops, followed by play & discussion (To Compete Or Not To Compete, and Cue Raises)
- Refreshment: Bring your own lunch or order through the Club on Saturday morning (Cost: $5)
- Cost: $25
- Two (2) Workshops only (Bidding Weak Hands in Difficult Situations, and Double Trouble)
Bookings: Please book Online or ring Managers.
More Information: Perelle Scales, M: 0450 961 935
Beginners' Bridge Lessons – May 2018
- Monday evenings 21st May 7:00pm
- Friday mornings 25th May 10:00am
The 6 week course costs $75, and includes a textbook, detailed notes and one free supervised play session.
Speak to the office managers to enrol (phone: 6282 2382).
Bridge Lessons for Continuing Students - Starts next Tuesday
This is a 4 week basic course on Competitive Bidding and Defence designed for students who have completed the Beginners course.
Dates: Tuesday 1st May 2018 to 22nd May Time: 10am to 12 noon
Costs: $15 per week or $55 for the complete course.
- Week 1: Doubles
- Week 2: Overcalls
- Week 3: Leads
- Week 4: Signals
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
The next lesson will be on Wednesday May 2, with Barb Toohey.
- “Bidding – Partner they have stolen my bid!”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised session topics
(starting at 7.00pm)
Thursdays & Fridays
(starting at 9.30am)
|Better Minor, responses & rebids||23rd April||
26th April (Thursday)27th April (Friday)
|Doubles & Overcalls||30th April||3rd May (Thursday)
4th May (Friday)
|Responses to NT & Stayman||7th May||
10th May (Thursday)
Barb, Ann and Jeanette
ACT Open Team:
- David Lilley & George Kozakos
- David Appleton & Peter Reynolds
- Margaret Bourke & Brad Coles
Fyshwick Trash & Treasure Stall - This Saturday
The Club will be holding a fundraising stall this Saturday 28th April.
Donations from club members would be most appreciated. Relatively small portable and saleable items only are what we need – books, CDs, DVDs, jewellery, vases, kitchen items, collectables, toys, games, etc. etc.
If you have any questions or would like to help on the day please contact:
Janet Kahler – ph. 6239 7268 or Gwen Jamieson Gray – ph. 0405 193 584.