From the President:
Congratulations to Lew Mander on being appointed a Companion in the General Division of the Order of Australia in the 2018 Australia Day Honours. This recognises his eminent services to science through pioneering contributions to organic chemistry in the field of plant growth hormones. At the table we are usually too busy thinking about the Ace of spades, so doubtless some of us didn’t know of the esteem accorded to Lew in his profession.
Almost every member of the club knows what follows but I give a friendly reminder that while winning is enjoyable, we all play bridge for mental stimulation and social contact. Please think about your partner and your opponents too. Occasional bursts of laughter are good to hear.
Calling the director (in a pleasant way) when players inadvertently do something ‘wrong’ is required by the Laws of bridge. It is not an aggressive act, rather the action that is most likely to clear up an issue before it becomes a problem. Let’s all enjoy this challenging game.
A very prosaic plea – if you wear lipstick would you please help by removing it from your cup when you leave it in the kitchen. Lipstick is designed to stick, and provides a problem for dishwashers.
The Valentine’s Day Congress is mentioned elsewhere – please enter this enjoyable event. In terms of help, our greatest need is for someone who has a Costco card to pick up the sandwiches at 10am on Sunday 11 February.
All Session Times for Bridge
Please note the start times of each session and arrive at least five minutes prior to start of play. Late arrival can cause confusion as the director will have already set the movement.
Wednesday Night Bridge – Pizza Night
Our first Pizza night will be held on Wednesday night 7th February from 6.15pm.
Richard Hills will provide his usual excellent analysis of some of the interesting hands he came across during the Summer Festival
Sunday 11th February
- o Morning Tea 9.30am and Play at 10.00am
- o Light Lunch at 1.10pm
- o Cash Prizes All Categories
- o Restricted/Novice Butler Pairs
- o Free Seminar at 9.30am – Playing Strategy
- o Open Swiss Teams
- o Prize presentation drinks & nibbles
- Helpers are needed for the Valentine’s Day Congress, to prepare morning tea, to do a little work before and during lunch, to organise and serve nibbles at the end of play.
- Is anyone with a Costco card able to pick up sandwiches at 10.00am on Sunday 11 February?
- Donations of slices or biscuits for morning tea would be greatly appreciated.
- Please contact Pam Crichton or Mary Tough
FRIDAY AFTERNOON – 16th February - Nationwide Pairs
Test your play against players of all calibres Australia wide,
No entry requirements, just walk-in, no additional cost,
Click here to see the ABF Nationwide Pairs site including results.
- Gold Coast Congress QLD – 16th to 24th February. Link for details and entry: https://www.qldbridge.com/gcc/
- State ANC Women's Team Selection – 3rd & 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateANCWomensTeamSelection
- State Novice Pairs Championship – 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateNovicePairsChampionship
- State ANC Senior's Team Selection – 17th & 18th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateANCSeniorsTeamSelecion
- State Restricted Pairs Championship – 18th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.canberrabridgeclub.com.au/index.php/the-events/upcoming-events#StateRestrictedPairsChampionship
- Griffith NSW – 3rd & 4th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=2893&T=X
- Batemans Bay – 9th to 11th March. Link for details and entry: http://www.nswba.com.au/tourn/eventDetails.asp?tid=2797&T=X
Master the Basics – cement your Bridge skills
- The next lesson is Wednesday 7th February, with Barb Toohey.
The topic is Bridge Rules – “Rules of the game & common mistakes”
Supervised Session 2018 – all Beginners should attend
Supervised lessons will resume on Monday 29th January (7.00pm) and Thursday 1st February (9.30am).
We hope you have enjoyed the Summer Sessions as well as your holiday time, and we look forward to seeing you again in the 2018 Supervised sessions.
Supervised session topics
Monday’s starting 7.00pm
Thursday’s starting 9.30am
Weak 2D/2H/2S openings
Strong 2C opening
Barb, Ann and Jeanette
January Monthly Eclectics Winners:
Thursday Morning Blue:
Monday Morning Blue:
Monday Morning Red:
Monday Evening Handicap:
Wednesday Evening Handicap:
John Daly & Janet Norris
Wenda Brown & Dan Cole
Roger & Gita Curnow
Helen Little & Geoff Hutchins
John Asman & Nonie Ashworth
Niek Van Vucht & Patricia Mc Donald
Tamara Cutcliffe & David Clarkson
Susan Walters & Ruth Landau
Neil Naughton & Jim Chan
Rasma Bandle & Ines-Maria Hodgkinson
John Hempenstall & Clem Davis
Jon Pike & Annabelle Boag
Reminder – renewals of membership – NOW VERY OVERDUE!
Please note, renewal of 2018 membership is now overdue. If you have not already renewed your membership, can you please do so ASAP. You can pay by EFTPOS (on-line banking direct to CBC Bank account), details being:
Account name – Canberra Bridge Club
BSB – 062 919
Account no. 00920020
Please include your ABF no. (and surname if possible)
Alternatively, you can pay your renewal membership by ‘cash’ or ‘cheque’ at the Club.
Thank you for your assistance here.
Dear Hilda Lirsch,
You are declaring 3NT:
During the auction LHO has promised a weak hand with a six-card diamond suit. Sure enough, LHO's opening lead is a fourth-best six of diamonds. I chose to play dummy's queen of diamonds at trick one. How should I have played?
Down four vulnerable
Dear down four vulnerable,
Playing the queen of diamonds at trick one would have been correct if LHO held all three of the outstanding aces, since then LHO would not have been able to lead diamonds again without giving you a second diamond trick. But you know on the bidding that this cannot be true. Hence winning the diamond queen at trick one will sign your death warrant. RHO will win the ace of hearts or the ace of clubs and lead the remaining card from RHO's original doubleton diamond through your king of diamonds to defeat your 3NT contract by four vulnerable undertricks.
Instead play dummy's nine of diamonds at trick one. If you are really lucky LHO's diamond suit is AJTxxx, and dummy's nine of diamonds will hold, guaranteeing a second diamond stopper.
If you are only mildly lucky RHO will cover the nine with the ten or jack. Now make the most of your mild luck by ducking RHO's honour. Then, on the reasonable assumption that LHO's only entry is the ace of diamonds, you have restricted the defence to only two diamond tricks, instead of the five diamond tricks that the defence took at your table.
Fyshwick Trash & Treasure Stall
The Club will be holding a fundraising stall on Saturday 28th April.
Donations from club members would be most appreciated. Relatively small portable and saleable items are what we need – books, CD’s, DVD’s, jewellery, vases, kitchen items, collectables, toys, games, etc. etc.
If you have any questions or would like to help on the day please contact:
Janet Kahler – ph. 6239 7268 or Gwen Jamieson Gray – ph. 0405 193 584 or Sue Taylor – ph. 6295 6691.
Kerry and Keith