Newsletter - 15 October 2021
From the President
I would like to welcome three new members to the Club’s Committee elected at last Monday’s AGM. The new members are Anne Fleming, Christy Geromboux and Richard Hills. I would also like to welcome Jennifer Yeats who was elected as the Club’s new Treasurer and thank outgoing Treasurer Lyn Turner for her work over the past three years.
I wish to again thank all of the Committee - past and present, the directors, the managers, other staff and the many volunteers for all that they do for the Club.
While I am sure that most of you would be aware that the ACT Government is moving towards reopening the ACT, the Committee is monitoring the post-lockdown plans of the Government in anticipation of considering the issue of when/how we reopen. No decision has yet been made.
Stay safe and enjoy your bridge.
Canberra Bridge Club Annual General Meeting
Our AGM was on Monday 11 October at 5.30pm on Zoom with nearly 40 people! Your 2021-22 Committee is as follows:
|Vice President||Liz Van Der Hor|
|Tournament Secretary||Ian Robinson|
|Committee Members||Anne Fleming|
The President's report to the AGM is available on the website. Thanks for your participation and - is that a record? - attendance.
New Session - Monday afternoons
Trial of relaxed and social Realbridge session ----- week 2 of the trial
Since the switchover to RealBridge we have found that some of our members have felt slightly uncomfortable playing in an 'all in' unrestricted environment. We offer an alternative for those who prefer a relaxed and relatively non-competitive game. This game is suitable for some of our regular duplicate players and would also be suitable for those newer members presently playing in duplicates who would prefer a slightly easier competititve environment.
The session will start at 2.00pm and finish by 4.30pm and be conducted at a slightly slower pace. People without partners wanting to find a partner should join at 1.30 so we can tee up a match. The Director is Sally Barber. Use the chat box to talk with Sally.
Member Table money will be deducted from players CBCPay accounts. Visitors fees will be paid for by their member-partner, or via prior arrangement by emailing the office.
Cost: $8 members/visitors, $7 concession members (including event).
- Monday morning 10:00am
- Monday evening - 7:00pm (24 boards)
- Monday afternoon 2pm Relaxed and Social
- Monday Evening 7.15pm Week 3 of the State Swiss Pairs 3 week competition
- Tuesday afternoon 1:15pm
- Wednesday morning 10:00am
- Wednesday Supervised Lesson: 6.30pm (via Zoom), then Play at 7.15 on Realbridge
- Wednesday evening 7:15pm (24 boards)
- Thursday morning 10:00am - Duplicate (MP)
- Thursday morning 10:10am - Butler (IMPs)
- Thursday afternoon 2:00pm (24 boards)
- Thursday 5:00pm Taster for State Open Teams
- Friday Supervised Lesson: 9:30am (via Zoom), then Play at 10.15am on RealBridge Supervised Only
- Friday afternoon 1:15pm
- Saturday afternoon 1:15pm
Links to sessions are on our RealBridge page.
There is a mystery deposit from “Alliance Bank” on 7th Oct. Please confirm the amount if you paid in-person at a bank, from Alliance Bank, on or in the few days before 7th October.
ABF Masterpoints watch this space
The ABF Masterpoints website and database continue to experience difficulties. This has caused problems with registering new members and putting them onto Pianola and CBC pay. The Club thanks our new members for their patience while this is being fixed. It is uncharted water but we will have advice on Masterpoints and promotions once the holes have been plugged. Thank you for your patience and any rumours of trillions of masterpoints moving offshore remain entirely unproven at this stage!
Upcoming Online Events
State Open Teams
The State Open Teams Qualifying, semi-finals and consolation runs for four weeks starting on Monday 25 October with a one week break on 8 November. Entries close at 10.00am on Monday 25 October.
The event (except the Consolation on 22 November) will be played using RealBridge screen mode. The club will conduct one free RB screen mode taster session (30 minutes duration) this coming Thursday (21 October) at 5.00pm.
Entrants to the State Open Teams are encouraged to join the taster. An explanation of RB Screen mode and further information is on the CBC website in the State Open Teams publicity in the What’s On section.
Club Individual Championship
On Monday 8 November (when the ANC is being held online) we will conduct a one session individual event, the first such tournament held by the club for over 25 years. All players will use a standard system card and it promises to be an interesting experiment. Entries on-line before 10am on Monday 8 November.
The Australian National Congress Open and Restricted Butlers
This is the online replacement to the ANC Butler which will be held on RealBridge.
The Open Butler will be run in two stages:
- Stage I - Sat / Sun 13-14th November
- Stage II - Mon / Tue 15-16th November
The Restricted Butler (open to players with less than 300 masterpoints as of 1st January 2021) will be run as a stand-alone event on Sat / Sun 13-14th November
The starting time each day is 12:00 AEDT (or 09:00 AWST)
The anticipated finishing time on the weekend is 18:30 AEDT
There will not be any Seniors', Women's or Mixed Butler pairs events.
Master the Basics
Master the Basics, is on each week at 9:00am on Thursday mornings before the duplicate sessions, for approximately half an hour.
MTB caters for a range of abilities and each week covers a fundamental concept to an increased level of mastery. Students who have done a Beginners Course and/or some Supervised play and have limited experience are welcome to attend. With more experience you will still benefit from a deeper understanding of the concept being discussed.
No registration is needed.
Cost is $6 for CBC Members (paid via CBCPay) and $8 for Non-Members.
- Mohamed Ghatwari &Leo Saoud
- Niek Van Vucht & Graham Wakefield
- Alison Farthing & Dorothy Jesner
- Ian Thomson & Ian Morison
- Pam Crichton & Ross Crichton
- Kerry Holmes & Martin Holmes
- George McLean & Tim Mather
- Patricia Mulcahy & Geoff Hooper
- Judy Netting & Maureen Copping
- Jenny Bell & Belinda Moss
- Gary Clarke, Sally Clarke, Karen Creet, Anita Curtis
- Lori Smith, Therese De Marco, Alison Fallon, Pam Morgan-King
- Andrew Struik, Brian Thorp, Margaret Fanning, Nikki Riszko
- Julian Foster, Jenna Gibbons, Michael Courtney, Joan Butts
- John Kelly, David Clarkson, Peter Talsma, Joy Bryant
- Christophe Quail, Julia Hoffman, Pam Crichton, Ross Crichton
- Liz Sylvester, Peter Gill, Wei Zhang, Yuman Li
- Michael Wilkinson, Marianne Bookallil, Stephen Fischer, Jane Beeby
- Elizabeth Havas, Arjuna de Livera, Jan Cormack, George Kozakos
- Rhonda Graham, Nick Edginton, Sue Brown, Robert Brown
Congratulations to everyone above and all who participated!
Feel like a bit of "you know what?"
The quiet passion that took off during lockdown. Preaching to the converted with you all, here's a complimentary article new member Deb sourced from the Sydney Morning Herald. The article raises awareness of RealBridge amongst the general community. Scroll past the subscription advice and enjoy!
Overcalls over the Opponents 1NT opening by Joan Butts
When deciding whether to overcall an opponent’s 1NT opening, remember
- On hand shapes like 5-3-3-2’s, it may be better to pass and defend 1NT
- You need a bid to show single-suiters (6 + cards)
- You need a bid to show both-majors (5-5, occasionally 5-4 shape)
- You need a bid to show other two-suited hands (5-5, occasionally 5-4 shape)
- A penalty double over the opponent’s 1NT shows a hand in the upper range of the 1NT opening and is best made when you have a suit of your own and you’re on lead
- Aim for partscores rather than games when partner bids over their 1NT
- Suit length requirements may be relaxed in the balancing seat
- Two-suited hands are better declaring (one of your suits) than defending
- Cappelletti is one of many conventions which may be used over the opponent’s 1NT opening - if not Cappelletti, choose another of them!
Top 10 things we no longer hear at the bridge table, since we’ve moved from playing bridge at the club to playing bridge on RealBridge:
- Which way is North?
- Where do the boards come from?
- Where do we move next?
- Director, I only have twelve cards in my hand. Also vying with Director calls,"Insufficient bid", "East reneged" and "Lead out of turn"
- These cards are so old, I wish they’d replace them
- Can we sit East/West instead North/South, because I like to stretch a bit between rounds.
- I haven’t seen him/her for ages, I think they've gone down the coast
- Do you want meet at Cafe d’Lish/Double Shot before bridge to grab a coffee and something to eat?
- Sorry I’m late, the traffic on Adelaide Avenue was murderous!
And, drum roll, please
The number one thing no longer heard at the bridge table, since we’ve moved from playing bridge at the club to playing bridge on RealBridge:
- How was your holiday? Tell me all about it, because we are thinking of going there next year!
Thanks Bricet for compiling this list!