Newsletter - 6 September 2019
From the President:
Here is an unusual moment:
I have nothing to say, except
If you pass in a board when playing, please remember to shuffle the hand before putting it back in the board.
What’s your favourite thing about playing Bridge?
Understanding your motivations can help us gain insights into how to promote the Club to future Bridge players.
Want to help at the Club, but can’t make an ongoing commitment?
Looking for something to do in the morning of Saturday 14th Sept?
The Club will be having a ‘working bee’, and we need helpers!
Saturday September 14th, from 9:30am
Suitable jobs can be found for any person willing to lend a hand – from wiping down bridgemates, to painting or lifting.
Contact the office if you have any questions.
Please put your name down on the sign-up sheet in the FOYER if you are able to help!
Coughs & Colds
With the cold weather still with us the need for proper Hygiene Protocols in relation to coughs, colds and flu like conditions is essential. Although the club would miss you, it is better to miss a session of bridge than share the condition with others and increase the risk of lots of us missing a bridge session. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated by all. Please be mindful of touching your face with cards, use the sanitiser frequently and discard tissues in the waste bins.
The club has placed a container of hand sanitiser on the bench top under the big screen to aid in the containment of infection.
Tuesday Intermediate Lessons starting next Tuesday
“Bridge Basics for Continuing Students” with Barb Toohey
- Tuesday Sept 10, 17, 27 & October 1
- 10.00am – 12.00pm.
- $15.00 per lesson, or $55.00 for all four.
Sign-up sheet is up in the Barry Turner Room
Beginners Lessons – Start this week
The next course of beginners lessons start on Monday 9th (7-9pm) & Friday 13th September (10am-12pm).
$75 for the 6 lessons, including the textbook and all notes.
Please encourage your friends to learn.
- Tuesdays at 7:30pm – Sept 17th, 24th, Oct 1st & 18th
- Semi-Finals: 30th Oct; Finals 6th Nov. (Flexible dates)
- Sign up online
- Gateway event for newer players
- o Undergraduate: Less than 2MP
- o Graduate: Less than 5 MP
- Sunday 29th September, 1:15pm (seated by 1pm)
- Sunday 29th September, 9:30am
- Open & Intermediate (combined) – Beverley Carmichael Trophy (under 1000MP)
- Restricted (less than 300MP) – Valerie Mitchell Trophy
- Provincial & Novice (less than 50MP) – Earl Dudley Trophy
- Eastlake Football Club, Gungahlin
- October 4th - 7th
- Events for players of all standards
Helpers for setup are required on Thursday 3rd October 4:30pm, and helpers for packing up/take-down are needed for Monday 7th October 4:30pm.
As always, many hands make light work!
It’s “Annual General Meeting” Season!
Canberra Bridge Club
The AGM of the Canberra Bridge Club will be held on Tuesday 24 September at 5.30pm.
Nomination forms are available at the club. Please show your support for the club by coming along.
You may appoint a proxy to vote for you if you cannot attend, but any attending member can only hold ONE proxy vote. Proxy forms are available in the club and must be given to the Secretary 24 hours ahead of the AGM.
Bridge Federation of the ACT (BFACT)
The Bridge Federation of the ACT is our ‘state’ body, to which we (Canberra BC), Capital BC, South Canberra BC, Cootamundra BC and Monaro (Cooma) BC are affiliated.
Members of the Canberra Bridge Club are members of BFACT by virtue of their CBC membership.
BFACT’s AGM will be held at CBC on Sunday 29 September at about 5pm, at the conclusion of play in the Gala Pairs.
Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else have your way.
- David Frost
Promotions for August
August Eclectics will be published in next week’s newsletter, due to some minor reviews to ensure correct recognition.
Blue Mountains 2019 Bygone Beauties Congress Teams
2nd Peter & Janet Kahler, Len & Liz Van Der Hor
Lessons & Seminars
See “Upcoming Events” section for the Tuesday Intermediate Lessons “Bridge Basics for Continuing Beginners”
The next lesson will be on September 11, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Transfers – Showing a second suit”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
12th September – Second hand play
19th September - Third hand play
26th September - To Cover or Not to Cover
3rd October - Planning, play points
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 9th - 13th September - Rule of 20 & Rule of 15
- 16th - 20th September - High opening bids: Pre-empts
- 23rd - 27th September - Weak 2D/2H/2S openings
- 30th September - 2nd October - Strong 2C opening