Newsletter - 23 August 2019
From the President:
I am looking forward to seeing many of you on Sunday at the Teams of 3.
Pianola: ABF and Local Numbers
Please note that you should not enter anything in the ABF number and Local Number fields when when setting up updating your Pianola data. Our managers put in ABF numbers for new ABF members, and Pianola automatically imports ABF and Local numbers from the ABF Masterfile and Compscore2 (our scoring program) respectively. Any anomalies are highlighted within Pianola and are resolved at the Manager or System Administrator level.
Want to help at the Club, but can’t make an ongoing commitment?
Looking for something to do in the morning of Saturday 14th Sept?
The Club will be having a ‘working bee’, and we need helpers!
Saturday September 14th, from 9:30am
Suitable jobs can be found for any person willing to lend a hand – from wiping down bridgemates, to painting or lifting.
Contact the office if you have any questions.
Please put your name down on the sign-up sheet in the FOYER if you are able to help!
The next course of beginners lessons start on Monday 9th (7-9pm) & Friday 13th September (10am-12pm).
$75 for the 6 lessons, including the textbook and all notes.
Enrol by 5th September, and pay only $65!
Please encourage your friends to learn.
Upcoming GNOT Qualifying events – Gold MP
- Monday 26th Aug & 2nd Sept, 10am – Matchpoint Pairs (ACT Provincial)
- Thursday 29thAug & 5th Sept, 20am – Pairs Butler (Canberra) & Matchpoint (ACT Provincial)
Tuesday & Thursday Nights – ‘Summer Time’ from September 3rd
From 3rd September, the Tuesday & Thursday night sessions will begin at 7:30pm.
CBC Matchpoint Pairs – inc Von der Pahlen Mixed Pairs
- Thursdays at 7:30pm - Sept 5th, 12th, 19th
- Sign up online
- Tuesdays at 7:30pm – Sept 17th, 24th, Oct 1st & 18th
- Semi-Finals: 30th Oct; Finals 6th Nov. (Flexible dates)
- Sign up online
- Saturday 31st August: All levels welcome
- 10am – 4pm
- How to run a session; Movements; Scoring Programmes; & Basic Laws
- Sunday 1st September: for those with some experience directing.
- 10am – 4pm
- Table simulations; Discussions on more interesting laws & situations; Q&A session
Venue: Canberra Bridge Club
Cost: $20 for one day, or $30 for both days. Includes a light lunch.
The next Pizza night will be Wed September 4th.
Christy will be continuing her exercises on doubling.
What did the cheese say when he looked in the mirror?
Coffs Harbour Congress
Open Teams: 3rd – Stephen Fischer, with Pele Rankin, Paul Hooykaas & Martin Doran
Welcome Pairs: 3rd – Niek Van Vucht & Vicky Lisle
Lessons & Seminars
The next lesson will be on August 28, 2019 @ 9.15am
“Competitive Bidding – Negative & other doubles”.
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
29th August – 1NTx – now what?
5th September – Rule of 11
12th September – Second hand play
19th September - Third hand play
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 26th – 30th August - Responses to NT & Stayman
- 2nd – 6th September - Doubles & Overcalls
- 9th - 13th September - Rule of 20 & Rule of 15
- 16th - 20th September - High opening bids: Pre-empts