Newsletter - 28 June 2019
From the President:
We are very grateful to Will Jenner O’Shea for coming from Sydney last weekend to give us the benefit of his workshops.
Please see two letters of appreciation below. I have received many similar comments verbally.
Our members helped in a variety of ways: chief among them Perelle Scales, Ella Beer, Julia Hoffman and Jeanette Harper — thank you all!
Letters on Will Jenner O’Shea weekend
“I consider myself fortunate for making the decision to attend Will’s weekend workshop. His presentation and teaching technique made it easy to follow and understand the information, and thus the hands we played. He was very professional, but at the same time approachable and helpful. I am grateful that you presented his workshop.”
- Rogina Hitchcock
“I went to Will's class yesterday and must say it was great, worth every cent! I'm still very much a learner but his methods of teaching seem to encompass all. He was attentive to every table, questions were no bother to him and his notes were excellent. He's also a very approachable man.
I was a little disappointed in the number of attendees, given the quality of the Course.
Big thank you to the Lady who prepared the morning tea, it was amazing!”
- Penny Egan
“Thank you to the Bridge Club Committee for organising Will Jenner O’Shea’s Workshops last weekend.
What an insightful, supportive and talented Bridge Teacher!
What incredible Morning Teas, provided by our own Michelin Star Deakin Club cook!
If you ever get a chance to attend such Workshops again - don’t hesitate - FANTASTIC!!”
We have been given the sad news of Nancy Hitchcock’s death. We will miss her friendship at the club.
Wednesday Night Bridge – This week
The next Pizza Night will be held on Wed July 3rd at 6.15 pm. Christy will be going through some exercises in doubling.
Bridge for Kids
The next session of bridge for Kids will be held on Tuesday 16 July from 10am until 12pm midday. Card games such as mini bridge and hearts will be played, along with other card games the kids may wish to play.
Interested members should register their children’s names, ages and any special dietary requirements on the registration sheets at the club, as well as the carer’s name. A grandparent or carer should accompany the children to this event, and may also be needed to assist with the games.
The cost will be $5 per child and fruit, pizza and ice cream will be provided at the end of play.
- Incorporating GNOT Qualifying Matchpoint Pairs GOLD Point Event
- Monday Mornings (10am) : 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd July
- Winner’s Prize is Free entry to BFACT Gala Pairs
- Sunday 21 July – 2 sessions
- Convenor: John Donovan (BFACT)
- 4 categories: Novice; Restricted; Intermediate; & Seniors
- Developing players would enjoy trying the Novice category.
Please check out this interesting event (and sign up) online or on the noticeboard in the club.
Keep warm in the depths of winter while enjoying a game of bridge.
Asia Pacific Bridge Federation Championship in Singapore
Seniors Pairs: Elizabeth Havas & Dee Harley won the Vincent Li trophy in the final
Lessons & Seminars
The next lesson will be on July 3, 2019 at 9:15am.
“Declarer Play: Entries, Order of Play".
Cost: $6 for members, $8 for non members
- Every Thursday Morning at 9.30am SHARP
- Duration: 20 minutes
- Cost $5 for members, $7 for non-members
- Come alone, with a friend or your partner
4th July - Weak 2s and Pre empts
11th July- Strong Openings
18th July - Michaels Cue Bids
- Monday evenings, 7:00pm
- Friday mornings, 9:30am
- 20 minute free lesson, then play in the Supervised Play section to reinforce your learning (normal table fees apply).
- You do not need a partner for Supervised Play.
- 1st – 5th July - System Card
- 8th – 12th July - Introduction, Etiquette, Key points
- 15th – 19th July - Opening Leads Signals (simplified)