Newsletter - 10 August 2017
New Friday Bridge Session
Starting Friday 8th September there will be an additional Friday Bridge session at 10am. The initial 10am session is free to all CBC members.
ABF Nation Wide Pairs – Friday afternoon 18th August, 1.00pm
- Run in conjunction with the normal Friday afternoon duplicate
- RED Masterpoints are allocated on a national basis in addition to the normal session GREEN Masterpoints.
- Normal table fees apply.
- At the conclusion of the play there will be a Panel discussion hosted by Pam Crichton.
State Open Teams
Tuesday evenings commencing 22 August & running for 4 weeks
Thursday evenings commencing 22 August & running for 4 weeks
Thank you CBC members from the ANC Committee
On behalf of Elainne and all of the organising committee, thank you to the Canberra Bridge Club, its committee and members for their generous assistance for the Australian National championships.
Dealing the boards is a large and essential part of any bridge event. Doing this job perfectly is vital to the smooth running of bridge.
In addition to that heavy load, CBC members have helped in every aspect of the organisation.
We appreciate your great support of the championships.
With best wishes,
The Wednesday Night Group
Wish to thank Richard Hills for his informative talk last Wednesday 2 August and the pizzas were an enjoyable treat.
The Produce Table – needs some produce
Especially lemons. Little cakes and biscuits are very popular.
The proceeds benefit the club. The produce table is located in the foyer of the club.
The next two series of Beginner Lessons
- Commence: Monday August 21 at 7.00pm and Thursday August 24 at 10.00am.
- Each session takes 2 hours.
- Please let your friends know.
- CBC is offering 10% off beginner lessons for those with a Seniors card.
Master the Basics
- These lessons start at 9.15am sharp.
- The next lesson is Wednesday August 16 with Barb Toohey. The topic is Transfers – “Showing a second suit”.
- Stay and play in the session following starting at 10.00am.
Supervised sessions, with a lesson preceding the play, are on:
- Monday nights at 7pm, and
- Thursday mornings at 9.30am.
Barb and/or Jeanette & Ann look forward to seeing you there.
- 14th & 17th August – “Doubles and Overcalls”
- 21st & 24th August – “Responses to NT, including Stayman”
- 28th & 31st August – “Rule of 20 and Rule of 15”
Short Notice Players Needed
If you are able to be called at short notice to be a fill-in, please contact the office. If you could provide your name, contact details, and session times you are available, we will retain these to call you if there is a need for a fill-in on your available days.
Results from the Orange Congress
- 1st Brian Thorp & John Brockwell
- 2nd Peter Kahler & Simon Hinge
- 3rd Janet Kahler & Peter Quach
- 1st Peter Kahler, Jeannette Collins, Janet Kahler & Peter Quach
A request from the Director
After playing your hand please shuffle your cards before replacing them back into the board even if the hand has been passed out.
A note from Peter Giles, our Immediate Past President
For those who read the newsletter you will know that our joint manager Lesley has decided to call it a day after 5 years in the role, firstly sharing with Val Holbrook and more recently with Kerry Butcher.
Having worked with Lesley for much of this time in various Committee roles I gained a full appreciation of the commitment that she has given to CBC. I would like to offer a very public thank you for her huge efforts and contribution to our club and her general support of myself.
Lesley's contribution extended way past the office. Working bees both inside and outside saw her rolling up her sleeves and just getting on with it. In so many roles and tasks Lesley was totally supported by her spouse Keith Mitchell. The combo were there (with sleeves rolled up), frequently the chain saw ripping away, the trailer full of rubbish. Other times out serving tea and coffee to other club members at working bees.
I would like to extend to Lesley and Keith the very best wishes for the next phase of their life - I hear retirement with renovation in their new home will be the go.
Again an extremely big thank you to Lesley and Keith.