Newsletter - 29 June 2017
Wednesday Night Pizza and short lecture.
Richard Hills will commence his first occasional lecture before Bridge on Wednesday 5th July.
He will discuss Bridge Laws that all players should know.
This lecture will commence at 6.30 pm and will be accompanied by Pizzas for those wishing to participate.
Bridge will commerce at 7.15 pm.
If people wish to have some Pizza could they please let Chris Tough know
Hopefully costs will be around $5-$6 per person.
Danish Butler Pairs Winners
Tamsin Paige and Christy Geromboux
Recent Nation Wide Pairs Results
Maria and Vic Meakins came 9th out of 623 pairs – very well done.
Sundays Monaro Bridge Club Event
John Brockwell and Chris Stead won the morning session in their direction.
Master the Basics
These lessons start at 9.15am sharp. The next lesson is Wednesday July 5 with Barb Toohey. The topic is Signals”. Stay and play in the session starting at 10.00am.
Supervised sessions, with a lesson preceding the play, are on Monday nights at 7pm, and Thursday mornings at 9.30am.
Barb and/or Jeanette & Anne look forward to seeing you there.
Topics for next week – 3 & 6 July – Etiquette and scoring key points
Thank you from Koomari
CBC’s generous donation has assisted the Koomari Service users by enabling them to purchase an embroidery sewing machine and overlocker for their new sewing program.
Are you a Restricted or Novice player who wants an occasional game at the ANC?
In Week 1 (15-21 July) there are several matchpoint pairs events, just as in the bridge club. There will be prizes for Novice and Restricted players. Please enter now.
In Week 2 there will be Walk In matchpoint pairs: on Saturday 22 July, Sunday 23 July, Tuesday 25 July at 10am, on Monday 24 July and Wednesday 26 July at 2.00pm. Just turn up. We look forward to seeing you there.
Interclub Teams Sunday 16 July
The Canberra bridge club would like those interested in playing in this team event and representing the club to sign up on the signup sheet in the foyer.
The categories are –
* Novice those with fewer than 100 masterpoints as of 31 March 2017
* Restricted - those with fewer than 300 masterpoints as of 31 March 2017
* Intermediate - those with fewer than 750 masterpoints as of 31 March 2017
* Senior - All team members must be born before 01/01/1959.
It is an all day event commencing at 10am to 5.30pm. The fee is $80 per team
It is being held at the same venue as the ANC Thoroughbred Park Function and Convention centre, Randwick Rd, Lyneham.
Australian National Championships
15-27 July 2017
Thoroughbred Park Function & Convention Centre, Randwick Road, Lyneham
You have a once in eight years opportunity to play in this tournament, at home.
* Events range from one-session pairs to two-day or longer Butler pairs; with categories including Novice, Restricted, Open, Women and Seniors. We look forward to seeing you there.
* Brochures are available on the table in the upstairs foyer.
The website is http://www.abfevents.com.au/events/anc/2017/
If you have any questions, please ask
Assistance requested during the ANC
Keith Ogborn would like to hear from people who can help on occasion with the Bulletin at the coming interstate championships. You would be able to help by:
* volunteering to kibitz an occasional match and/or all or part of the finals (they should be on BBO) and letting Keith know about any interesting play and bidding (there would be no need to write anything up)
* helping with compiling statistics on the progress of the event. (This needs somebody who is comfortable with spreadsheets. While good bridge knowledge is not a bad thing, only beginner level understanding of scoring is needed.)
* taking photos of participants and winners for inclusion in the Bulletin.